There’s no doubt that getting a massage is relaxing and rejuvenating. Massage therapy, however, can be expensive, time-consuming, and even inaccessible in some areas. But did you know that head massages offer some of the same benefits? They are also great self-care moments to reset and rest.
The health benefits
There are several physical health benefits to scalp massages. They include:
- Reduction of pain sensitivity
- Body awareness
- Lower stress hormone levels
- Lower blood pressure
A quick how-to
Interested in getting some of these benefits but don’t know where to begin? Here is a very brief guide on giving yourself a head massage:
- Start by gathering any supplies you want to use. Hair oils, candles for ambiance, and a good playlist of calming music is a great place to start.
- Sit in a comfortable position. If using oils, you may want to place a towel around your neck to stop any drips.
- Apply light to medium pressure with your fingertips, making sure not to scratch. If using oil, dip your fingers in the oil then massage. A massage tool can be used as well.
- Move your fingers in small circular motions all around the scalp. Make sure to cover your entire scalp.
- Afterward, rinse or wash out any oil with the shampoo of your choosing.
However you choose to manage your mental health, the trained counselors at Valley Oaks Health are here to help you discover more self-care techniques and provide the support you need to reach your mental health goals.